Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Long Trip Home II

By the end of last night, when we arrived back in Troy at 10:30 p.m. or so, I was grateful to be home and off of the highway.  For the duration of our trip we have GREAT weather.  There were places it was hot, but it was always sunny, warm, and there was a breeze.  On the road home we traded that for rain and more rain and even MORE rain.  Thanks to Katana, Siri and Google maps GPS app. a trip that should have taken app. 6 hours a day took ten or eleven!  All three apps keep taking us to back country roads and refusing to take us to a highway, which is the opposite of what they normally do when they act like back roads don't exist!  Anyhow, after twenty hours in the car in a forty-eight hour period, I still thanked my lucky stars (and Maker) that we could cover in two days what it would have taken the Ingalls at least a month, if not more, to traverse.  As we wound around roads and up and down over fair-sized hills, I thought of them determinedly moving forward in their little conestoga wagon with Ma, Pa and Carrie in the front, and Laura and Mary looking out the back end.  On one hand, moving quickly is wonderful, but it does have its price.  The sights fly by too quickly, you have to concentrate on the road and not what is around you, and there is the ever present worry about someone in another car doing what they shouldn't.  On the other hand, for that month the Ingalls got to sit and talk and sing and walk beside the wagon, explore and enjoy nature, and sleep out under the stars.

I think those of you who know me would know which I would choose in a heartbeat....

I am not a fan of modern civilization.  In fact, I call myself a Luddite and would prefer to go back to the pre-industrial world.  This week was a mix of both country and city and it only cemented that desire.  While I enjoyed the Mall of America and found Lacrosse, Minnesota to be one of the prettiest towns I have ever seen, I would still choose the country.  The minute I set eyes on a prairie, I knew I was home.

Anyhow, here's the last few sights from our weeklong journey.  Over the next few days I will record some thoughts about the trip and what we saw, so keep checking back if you are interested!

When we were in LaCrescent, WI, we ate at the local Pizza place where Connor Franta went as a kid. It was some of the best piza either of us had ever had.


Next we stopped at the Van Loon wildlife area and took a walk to look at the McGilvary bridges. 


Next was a long drive and then supper at Noodles & Co.  I want one of these!  (Leah does too, she's just startled because I took her picture!  That girl is camera-shy....)


Our final stop was in Battleground, IN just outside of Lafayette.  This is the place where Tecumseh's brother, the Open Door or the Prophet, addressed his men before he sent them out to battle William Henry Harrison's forces.  I had been here sixteen years back and had told Leah there was a small chimney that you could climb up so you can stand where legend says the Prophet stood.  IThe climb was a little more daunting looking at 58 than it had been at 42, but I said, 'What the heck!' and climbed up on hands and knees with my 13 year old granddaughter following...slowly.  LOL  It was very cool to stand there and think about the history.   By the end, I think Leah was both impressed with me and thought I was nuts!





I hope yoyu enjoyed following our journey.  Check back for more thoughts over the next few days....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment